West Ham United Football Club, are currently recruiting for an highly motivated individual for an apprenticeship role within the groundkeeping team. This is initially an 18-24 month fixed term contract and at the end of the contract the successful candidate will be able to gain a Sports Turf Operative qualification.
* Undertake routine preparation and maintenance work in relation to playing surfaces as assigned by the Head Groundsman or Deputy Head Groundsman. Undertake all preparatory and cultivation work to maintain safe quality playing surfaces.
* Initial marking out and setting up of playing surfaces to a high standard undertaking all duties to ensure the best possible results are achieved.
* The safe use and operation of equipment and machinery used in grounds maintenance.
* Inform the supervisor and where instructed, take corrective action on mechanical defects or breakdown of equipment.
* At all times adhere to high standards in relation to Health and Safety upholding the Company policy in this respect.
* Undertake general grounds maintenance tasks in relation to the playing surface and surrounding areas.
* Ensure work area is kept clean, tidy and secure at all times.
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, colleagues and end users.
* When dealing with customers / clients / public uphold high standards of
customer care and attention at all times promoting the image of the Company.
* GENERAL GROUNDS MAINTENANCE- Contribute to the upkeep/presentation of the site including verges, hedges & off-pitch areas.
* MOWING- Regular mowing of training areas using a variety of mowing equipment.
* AERATION, BRUSHING, SEEDING, ETC- Use of tractor units & utility vehicles with a wide range of attachments utilised for turf care maintenance.
* MARKING OUT- To set-out & over mark pitches & pre-determined areas ready for play.
* REINSTATEMENT DIVOTTING- Divot repair work following play.
* IRRIGATION- Set-up & use both travelling & automated irrigation systems.
* FERTILIZING- Apply appropriate sports turf granular fertilizer as directed as part of an annual nutritional programme.
* MATCHDAY PREPARATION- Set-up goals, flags, etc. for scheduled matches at Development Squad & Academy levels.
* ARTIFICIAL SURFACE MAINTENANCE- Regular brushing/grooming 3G artificial surfaces using specialised equipment.
1. To ensure that all departments are provided within an anti-discriminatory framework and take account of such issues as race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion, sexual orientation and age.
2. To carry out work in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity for both staff and clients.
Employees will be recruited and selected, promoted and trained on the basis of objective criteria.
1. Staff must evidence a commitment to the safety and welfare of children, young people and adults at risk regardless of their age, gender, language, religion, ethnic background or sexual identity and ensure the safety and protection of all children, young people and adults at risk taking part in any activity arranged by or in the name of the Club.
2. It is a requirement for staff to follow the Club’s Safeguarding reporting procedures to report without delay, allegations of abuse, poor practice or which is or may, impact on the welfare of a child, young person or adult at risk. After contacting and taking guidance from the Safeguarding Team, staff must use the Club’s Child Protection Online Management System (CPOMS ) to record the concern within 24 hours unless directed to do otherwise.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas: -
Essential (E) Desirable (D)
Education, Qualifications, Experience
* Previous Grounds experience (D)
Skills, Abilities, Behaviours
* Team Player (E)
* Enthusiastic (E)
* Ability to adapt to change and work under pressure (E)
* Willingness to work outdoors and in all weathers (E)
* Able to accept and carryout instructions (E)
* Flexible approach to working hours (E)
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health of our staff.
Due to a high number of expected applicants, only those successful will be contacted