We are committed to the principle of equality and equal opportunities in employment and have been accredited with being a Disability Confident Leader. We will actively promote equality and equal opportunities in our business to ensure that individuals receive treatment that is fair and equitable and consistent with their relevant aptitudes, potential skills and abilities.
West Ham United FC is committed to equality and safeguarding children and ‘adults at risk’. Positions that involve working with such groups are subject to safer recruitment protocols, including DBS Disclosure at enhanced level.
West Ham United staff enjoy generous benefits, including a contributory scheme, 25 days’ leave and life assurance. You can also take advantage of childcare vouchers, interest-free season ticket loans, a cycle to work scheme and our employee wellbeing programme.
We believe that a diverse workforce strengthens our creativity and delivers the best commercial performance. We are, therefore seeking applications from high quality people, whose backgrounds, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our company.
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health of our staff.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the West Ham United Operations department for a creative, self-motivated Head Chef to assume overall responsibility for daily operations in the kitchen at both 1st team and academy sites.
Our Head Chef will be expected to lead, motivate and supervise the Kitchen team and have full responsibility for food storing, preparation, production, cooking and food service. Responsible for providing healthy, nutritious, high quality food to players, manager and his coaching staff and all other backroom support staff at both sites. This is to be done to the highest standards whilst maintaining strict health and safety polices.
Catering Numbers are around 130 pax at 1st team site (including under 23’s team currently) and 200 pax at the Academy site. (including Women’s team, under 18’s teams down)
The role will be based at 1st team site but will need to oversee, lead and support the academy site and its chefs and catering assistants and will involve working alongside the 1st team nutritionist and sport science department to come up with and develop weekly menus to aid performance and recovery in between and leading up to games.
The role will also assume management responsibilities for 2 chefs and 2 catering assistants at 1st team site and 2 chefs and 3 catering assistants at the academy site.
* To make high quality meals, but also to ensure meals are highly nutritious in order for players to stay fit and healthy.
* Make sure health and safety standards are meet in the handling, cooking storage of food, as well as to make work sure all areas are kept clean.
* Work with the necessary members of the backroom support staff of both the 1st team and Under 23’s to make sure meals fit into any training, fitness and rehabilitation plans that may have been created.
* Manage a team of chefs and catering assistant as to make sure the kitchen runs as efficient and effectively as possible’
* Liaising with purchasing companies for food orders, working within a budget by only ordering as much stock that is need, but also by making sure there is only a limited amount of waste in cooking processes.
* Ensure that meals are presented on time, in accordance to training schedules.
* When required to effectively recruit, select and train new members of staff. New members of staff need to know working practices, processes and procedures.
* Develop menus alongside the nutritionist in order to create a variety of meals for players, coaching staff and support staff.
1. To ensure that all departments are provided within an anti-discriminatory framework and take account of such issues as race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion, sexual orientation and age.
2. To carry out work in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity for both staff and clients.
Staff must evidence a commitment to the safety and welfare of children, young people and adults at risk regardless of their age, gender, language, religion, ethnic background or sexual identity and ensure the safety and protection of all children, young people and adults at risk taking part in any activity arranged by or in the name of the Club.
It is a requirement for staff to follow the Club’s Safeguarding reporting procedures to report without delay, allegations of abuse, poor practice or which is or may, impact on the welfare of a child, young person or adult at risk. After contacting and taking guidance from the Safeguarding Team, staff must use the Club’s Child Protection Online Management System (CPOMS ) to record the concern within 24 hours unless directed to do otherwise
Employees will be recruited and selected, promoted and trained on the basis of objective criteria.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas: - Essential (E) Desirable (D)
* Vast experience working in kitchens (E)
* Experience cooking for large numbers of people and in multi restaurant operations (E)
* Previous experience as a Head Chef (D)
* City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in professional Cookery or NVQ/SVQ Level 3 or equivalent (E)
* Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate or Equivalent (E)
* IOSHH & COSHH trained with an advanced knowledge of Food safety and Health & Safety (E)
* RSH Health & Hygiene certificate (D)
* HACCP level 3 certificate (D)
* Full, clean UK driving licence (D)
* Experience of Food stock controls, ordering and rotation (D)
* An understanding of produce and ingredients (E)
* The ability to write menus that are both creative and profitable (D)
* Able to use initiative able to react to changing circumstances
* Great time management skills
* Ability to work calmly under pressure
* Ability to work well as a member of a team and as an individual
* Strong work ethic
* Passion for cooking
* Excellent communications skills
* Keen attention for detail
* Creative and innovative